The Los Angeles Pacific Railway began construction of
its San Fernando Valley line from Hollywood
through the Cahuenga Pass
in 1909. Before the line was
completed in 1912, the LAP was merged with the Pacific Electric Railway.
The first PE
trolley car reached Van Nuys and its new depot on December 16, 1911. Shortly thereafter, construction began on
two branch lines radiating from Van Nuys. One branch preceded west on Sherman
Way to its terminus in Owensmouth (Canoga
Park), and the other north to
the San Fernando Mission. Within months of the arrival of the PE, the large
grain farms in the San Fernando Valley began to be
subdivided for homes and businesses.
both branch lines were ended on June
1, 1938, which made the San Fernando
line’s terminus at Van Nuys Boulevard
and Sherman Way. On December 28, 1952, bus lines utilizing the Hollywood
Freeway replaced all trolley rail service.
Postcard - Pacific
Electric Railroad’s Van Nuys Depot
Railroad’s Van Nuys Depot