- Southern Pacific Railroad’s Santa Paula
Ventura County business and agricultural interests
successfully persuaded the Southern Pacific to build a branch line from Saugus to Santa Barbara in the 1880’s. Santa Paula, located in the Santa Clara River Valley, had long been a large citrus growing
center, and as all towns along the line, prospered in the resulting real
estate and business boom upon the arrival of the railroad in 1887.
The depot was shipped in
sections from Sacramento in early 1887, and Fred Corey became its first agent. The depot is a
Southern Pacific Railroad Common Standard #17, two story combination depot.
The depot had a small freight car yard, a water tower for locomotives, a
trackside chute for loading livestock and an engine service facility which
included a turntable. The depot was served by local passenger trains which
ran daily between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
It, along with six other
#17’s, were built in 1887, including Saticoy’s depot just down the line. The
depot has been restored and contains a small museum.
- Southern Pacific
Railroad’s Santa Paula Depot -