About the Depot: 

 

This “Mission Revival” style depot with beautifully arched windows and doorways, white stucco walls, and Spanish red tile roof was built in 1904 by the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad, which later was absorbed into Union Pacific Railroad in 1921.

 

It was built at a time when railroads took pride in their depots. The grounds were landscaped and maintained as well as any Municipal Park with palm and pepper trees, manicured lawns and beds of flowers meant to bloom year round. First time travelers from the east were amazed to see heavily laden orange trees, bright flowers and snow on the nearby towering mountains all in the same dazzling view from their Pullman cars in the dead of winter. They say first impressions are everything, and this impression inspired thousands pack up and move to the Golden State.

 

After 67 years, passenger service was discontinued in 1971. The Depot is still standing and is not only Riverside's Historic Landmark #9, but it is also listed on the National Registry of Historical Landmarks.

 

 

 

LA&SL Riverside Depot