About the Depot:

·        In the 1880’s the Southern Pacific railway constructed a branch line heading east from Saugus to tap into the fertile farmlands of the Santa Clara River valley. Rails reached Fillmore in 1886 and a depot was built to serve the newly founded town. Once the SP had completed construction of its line from San Francisco to Ventura, the Santa Paula branch was upgraded to mainline status on SP’s fabled “Coast Line.”  In 1903 the Santa Paula Branch was relegated back to a branch line after the Montalvo to Burbank Junction cutoff was completed through the San Fernando Valley.

·        The depot is a fine example of Southern Pacific’s wood frame, single story, common standard plan #23, of which hundreds were built system wide. During its time in service, it was located at milepost 474 and was classified for passenger ticket sales, class “A” freight and express shipments. It also had a stock pens and water facilities for stock shipments.

·        Having been relocated off SP property, the depot was eventually moved back along side the old main line in downtown Fillmore when the line was transferred to private interests. It is currently located within a historical park and has been partially restored.

·        Passenger traffic has once again returned as Fillmore is now the end of the line for the Fillmore and Western Railway, an operating railroad museum.

 

 

 

Southern Pacific Railroad’s Fillmore Depot